Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lemon Curd


Do you have a food in your life that when you eat it, it is usually by the spoonful and you can't stop and you keep going back for more and more? That is my relationship with lemon curd (or used to be when I ate dairy and eggs). I think most people feel this way about peanut butter as well.

My friend Brooke and I were talking about lemon curd and our love for it, so I decided to create a raw vegan version.

Lemon Curd:
1 cup young thai coconut meat (preferably not too thick so it breaks down fully in the blender and becomes very smooth)
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice (I include the pulpy bits from juicing because hey, why not?)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
3 drops plain liquid stevia (optional, you can just add more agave)
3 teaspoons agave (or more to taste if you like things quite sweet)
2 tablespoons coconut oil




Blend all in vita mix or high speed blender until totally smooth but be careful not to heat up the mixture too much. Those high powered blenders have a tendency to cook food if you are not careful.

You can add about 1/16 or 1/8 tsp of tumeric for colour, but be careful not to get the flavour - start out with small amounts. I will get some fresh tumeric from Calgary next time I go in and see how that plays with the colour and flavour. As you can see, I did not add any colouring to mine today.

Oh my gosh I love lemon curd!

No comments:

Post a Comment