Sunday, September 11, 2011

Twice the Fun w. Pumpkun


Hey Gang,
Feel like making pumpkin seed 'parmesan'?
You know... I don't think I made this recipe up, but I don't know where I got it, it was in my word doc recipes, which means I typed it out, which means that perhaps I made it up, I'm sure it was a take on someone's recipe for some sort of nut cheese.

Anyway, I just made tons of this stuff because I received 5lbs of really beautiful pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin seed pusher. The pictures don't do them justice, they are very dark green, and this is after being soaked!


So soak some pumpkin seeds for about 8 hours and rinse thoroughly. Now, I just stuck them all in the dehydrator at 105 for about 10 hours, but that is because I didn't want to use the food processor at 2am to make the parm - so you can take it from here or you can use dried seeds like me. The difference will be a coarser texture in the final product with the dry seeds. I like texture.

Pumpkin Seed Parmesan
1 cup pumpkin seeds - soaked
1/4 cup water (or more if the seeds are dry)
1/8 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
1/2 serrano chili or jalapeno, chopped (optional but adds better flavour)

In a food processor, blend all the ingredients until fairly smooth. Thinly spread onto paraflex sheet and dehydrate at 105F for about 6-8 hours. Flip and remove the paraflex. Dehydrate until totally dry. Break into pieces and store air-tight.




So this is where things get crazy... My friends Sara and Reno from One Love Yoga in Vancouver http://oneloveyoga.ca/ were visiting a few weeks ago and asked me if I'd ever tried putting my cracker batters on nori sheets. "Well no, in fact I have not (I said), but that sounds awesome!".

So I had a little bit of this pumpkin seed parm left over in the food processor and I chopped up:
one large green zucchini, peel on
one small onion, peel off
a handful of baby dill including stalks/stems
1/2 of a jalapeno, seeded
and threw in some:
sea salt
pumpkin seeds
juice of 1 lemon
about 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast or more

and I blended it all in the food processor until it was combined but still chunky.
I chucked down some raw nori sheets on the paraflex dehydrator sheets and spread the mixture evenly onto 6 of the nori sheets (2 nori fit on one dehydrator sheet).




I let it dehydrate overnight at 105 and they were very crispy in the morning. Curled up a bit. I like this idea of using nori, not only because it tastes good and is healthy, but also because I didn't have to use a binder such as chia seeds, and that is a nice change because I always use chia seeds.



So anyway, they are kind of like dill pickle chips from the sea. SEA PICKLES. Pretty fun. Thanks SJ and Reno for the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment