Friday, May 20, 2011

Judgement Salad



Don't judge me because I'm posting another salad recipe. I bet if David Wolfe were to judge this salad he would say 'that is one hell of a beautifying salad, tastes like I'm going to beauty heaven'...

Have you ever read his book 'Eating for Beauty'? In this book he tells us this about today's salad components:

Arugula: Highly alkaline, high in beta-carotene (Vit A) protecting the nucleus of cells from radiation (sun, etc), helps inhibit acne. Anti-cancer, antibiotic and anti-viral. Also, because of it's high sulfur content it is an excellent internal skin cleanser and liver purifier.


Olives (olive oil): Most beautifying foods of all! Erase fine lines, repair connective tissue, heal the circulatory system, soothing digestive system, alkaline, crazy high in vit E, high protein, smooths skin and stimulates immune system, among other things.

Onions: High sulfur (cleanses skin + liver, antiseptic properties, helps build all connective tissues), anti blood clumping properties, mucous disintegration, has more vit C than same sized orange and tons of other minerals and vitamins.


Papaya Seeds: Amazing anti-parasite to guard against and flush out parasites. The flesh of papaya has tons of different health properties. Note that these have a strong peppery taste, quite spicy.


Tumeric: Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-microbial, first-class blood purifier resulting in wounds healing faster, increased energy + metabolism. Makes the skin soft and counteracts pimples, acne, boils + other skin imbalances.


Avocado: Eye health, Vit E, anti-cancer, makes things like arugula + onions more digestible, promotes healthy heart and lowers bad cholesterol, among other things.


So I thought to myself... I'd like to be the most beautiful person at work today. I'm going to make a salad. (Truth be told, I just made this with what I had on hand but it worked out beautifully).

Judgement Salad:

Salad Part:
A bunch of organic arugula. Fill a big metal bowl, don't be shy! I was lucky enough to get some from Calgary this week, hotchkiss farms grows fantastic arugula.
1 small onion, sliced into small slivers, as much as you want.
1/2 or whole avocado, sliced in half, then into chunks while in the shell and scooped out.

Candied Mustard Mushrooms
Make some mustard according to my mustard mushrooms post last November, or any mustard you want, usually I just throw mustard seeds, onion, white wine, raw cider vinegar, raw honey, sea salt, pepper and maybe some tumeric into a blender until smooth. Then I coat sliced mushrooms (your choice, I like crimini) in the mustard and dehydrate at 115 degrees for a bunch of hours (maybe 4+). Then when they are slightly shriveled I coat them in a mixture of olive oil (lots of olive oil), sea salt and raw honey and dehydrate until dry. They should have the texture some sort of leather or easy to chew jerky.


Dressing: Spicy Papaya Seed
Seeds from about half of a small papaya, never hurts to have a bit of flesh in there too for extra sweetness
about 1/4 of a small onion or 1/2 of a large shallot
1/2 large organic lemon or whole small lemon (not just the juice, the whole thing!), chopped
a splash or two of raw cider vinegar
a hefty dash of sea salt, to taste
about 1/6 cup or less of olive oil
a small bit of fresh tumeric, optional (to be honest I can't remember if I used tumeric, I had a ton of fresh tumeric on my counter so I probably did).
Blend all in a vita mix until smooth. It won't be crazy smooth but that is ok. Taste it. If it is too spicy or weird add some raw honey or papaya flesh.

Coat the arugula and onion in the dressing and top the salad with the mushrooms and avocado.


Sure, this might sound weird, but I swear it was good. It made me feel good too.

Now if only I could get some beauty sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment