Thursday, July 14, 2011

Marketed



Hey Banff & Beyond,
I'm here to write about my super fun first day at the Banff Farmer's Market yesterday.

Remember I was complaining about the heavens trying everything in their power to make sure this is a bumpy ride? Well they did continue along that path (so like the heavens to stick to a path). I didn't get my cocoa butter and other ingredients until Monday night and packaging and nuts until Tuesday night! However, it turns out that if you politely tell the heavens that their path is a crappy path they will back down and things will work out. I think they were just happy to hear the dehydrator buzz die down.

After countless hours of designing labels, dehydrating, blending, mixing and singing along with Joel Plaskett I managed to get everthing done. Here are the results of my heavenly defiance.

3 fruit roll-ups with wild jungle peanut butter in the middle.


Banana Cinnamon Rolls
a whole bunch of bananas
vanilla bean powder/fresh vanilla beans
true cinnamon
blend all in food processor and spread on teflex, not too think but not too thin and dehydrate at 105 until dry and still plyable.
cut into 4-5 strips and cut those strips in half width wise.

Strawberry Apple Orange Rolls
Do the same as above, with 5 apples and 1lb of strawberries, 2 tbsp of ground chia seeds, vanilla bean and the zest of one orange.

Raspberry Pear Rolls
6 Pears, 1 pint of raspberries, 2 tbsp of chia seeds, vanilla bean, 2 drops of liquid stevia and lemon zest.
Do the same as the the previous 2 with dehydrating.

Jungle Peanut Butter
a couple cups of jungle peanuts, ground in a food processor till fine. Put them in a high speed blender with a touch of sea salt, agave nectar and melted coconut oil as needed to help it become smooth. If the butter starts to get too warm then stop blending and put it in a bowl in the freezer and try again when it has cooled. You don't want to heat the nut butter above raw!


When the fruit is finished dehydrating and you've cut it into strips then place some peanut butter on one side, spread out with a knife and make sure to keep most of it away from the edges. Roll fairly tightly and it will self-seal with the nut butter on the end.

I also made:
Orange Coffee Dark Chocolate + Wild Canadian Blueberry Rooibos White Chocolate

The checkered wrappers were supposed to be plain neutral but they were out of stock and I needed them ASAP. I think it looks kind of fun though. It will have to do because I have 2000 sheets of the stuff.



Grainy + Honey Mustards - so spicy



Onion + Mango Vegetable Wraps (w. Glen's Fruit Truck organic patty pan zucchini squash). These were the star of the show, they sold out! Looks like I'll be making more for next week.


Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil Body Scrub



Pumpkin-Less Pudding (seen on the right)



Overall I think the market was a success (in your face heavenly forces).

FYI all of my packaging is biodegradable and compostable! (minus the tape to attach them)

See you next week. I plan on having different flavours of chocolate and fruit rolls and some new goodies!

xo
Julie

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Julie! Loved the Peaches and Cream dessert (which I ate for breakfast the next morning) and the crackers. I bought these at the open-air market in Banff in late July and mentioned you at I Must Be Off!

    ReplyDelete